Helen was called to the Bar in 1998 after completing her degree at Hull University. She is a member of the Family Law Bar Association and Inner Temple.
Helen is known for her excellent client care skills, particularly with vulnerable clients and those with learning difficulties, making her a popular choice for cases involving care and adoption proceedings, special guardianship and private law children matters. Helen also receives instructions in Court of Protection matters.
She regularly receives instructions on behalf of Local Authorities, parents, grandparents and children’s guardians and has specialised in the area of Family Law for most of her career. Helen has taken instructions from children directly within Care Proceedings.
In her work she is frequently involved in cases where there are issues of severe sexual and physical abuse, neglect and fabricated or induced illness and is regularly required to call and cross-examine medical witnesses and experts. Helen has also been led by leading counsel in a number of cases.
She also receives instructions in removal from the jurisdiction, internal relocation and forced marriage matters.
- Re A Local Authority v W (2019) representation of the Local Authority in a case involving alleged fabricated illness by parent, with subject child sectioned under Mental Health Act.
- Re A Local Authority v J (2019) representation of 15 year old mother within Care Proceedings
- Re A Local Authority v T (2018) representation of the Local Authority in a case involving alleged Tramadol poisoning.
- Re A Local Authority v O (2018) representation of a father in an application for contact to a child in care where the LA had unlawfully terminated such contact for the second time in a period of 2 years.
- Re A Child (2018) separate representation of a 12 yr old child within Care Proceedings before Cohen J where the Local Authority plan was to remove him to foster care against his wishes.
- Re DH v CL & A Local Authority  EWHC 1836 (Fam) successful application within Care Proceedings to remove a child to live in Kurdistan (Iraq).
- Re W  EWHC 1957 (Fam) revocation of an Adoption Order